Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

New to Mom Seriously? WELCOME! Be sure to sign up for my daily email newsletter, full of practical tips for purposeful parenting!



I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day today, and I want to thank you so much for reading Mom Seriously. I appreciate your passion for parenting, and I'm blessed to be able offer to you the parenting tips and information that I've learned (and continue to learn!) along my journey.

It is hard to believe that this is my 20th Mother's Day. I remember my the first one, spent in Charlotte, NC, at Carmel Baptist Church. Danya was four months old, and on that Mother's Day, she was dedicated (as Rich and I dedicated ourselves to raising her) along with about six other babies in a Parent/Baby dedication service. The time has flown by since that first Mom's Day. I'm amazed and so overwhelmingly thankful to be spending this day with my husband and our three children, my mom and dad, my mother-in-law and father-in-law, and my grandmother-in-law, who is 91 years old, and I have no idea how many Mom's Days this makes for her!

But I realize that Mother's Day isn't all that great for a lot of people today. There are those who have lost their moms since last year's Mother's Day. There are moms whose children are estranged or prodigals. There are women who are struggling with infertility, who, rather than sit through another Mother's Day sermon, will opt out of Sunday worship all together on this day. There are moms spending their Mother's Day in waiting rooms at places like Vanderbilt Hospital and St. Jude's, wondering what the future holds for their children.

It's good to know that on Mother's Day and every day, there is One who will never leave us or forsake us, One who is building (and redeeming and re-building) the masterplan of our lives as surely as the Old Testament figure Nehemiah rebuilt the wall of Jerusalem. In spite of constant attack by their enemies, Nehemiah urged the people to be fearless and stand guard by their families. He said, "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your friends, your families, and your homes!" (Nehemiah 5:14 NLT)

Today, as then, these are the key elements of our lives that are surely worth fighting for. And Mother's Day reminds us just why it is that we do what we do.



Happy Mother's Day--may you and your family be blessed today!

Rebecca
Don't miss any great parenting info: Subscribe to my daily email newsletter! Click HERE.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails