Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Let Go and Delegate!

If you're visiting today from CafeMom, WELCOME! Be sure to sign up for my daily email newsletter, full of practical tips for purposeful parenting!

You can't do everything. And why would you want to?  Check out these tips for delegating a few of your household responsibilities!

Children can learn to pick up their toys, unload the dishwasher, and make their beds. It takes some time to teach them, but it is worth it. These household skills are equally important to their home education as the three “R’s.” And no, they won’t do a perfect job, but your praise and gratitude will go a long way in motivating them to continue helping you. Eventually they grow up, and they grow into their chores. Are you willing to teach them how to play their positions, or do you want to keep them on the bench?

Often, husbands want to help. Really, most men don’t mind helping: what bothers them is our criticism when they don’t do things the way we would. (Did you catch that? LOL) How often are you guilty of griping about your hubby's housekeeping technique, rather than just appreciating his effort and the heart behind it? ) Is there really only one way to load a dishwasher? Or one way to fold a load of towels? Let your spouse put his personal touch on a few things around the house.

Learn to say no. Try saying “no” the next time someone asks you to do something that you simply don’t have time to do, or that you don’t really want to do. Establish your priorities, and play your position. This is the only way to ensure that others have the opportunity to play theirs!

Ultimately, our families are dependent on one Person—but it’s not you, Mom! No, in fact, each family unit was created and established by God to revolve around the service and glorification of His Son. We are dependent upon Jesus, no matter what position we play! Yet, unbelievably, when I’m looking at my to-do list, my children’s practice schedules, the piles of laundry, and my sheer inadequacy when it comes to the mammoth task of mothering, I often still attempt to make the play. I may, in my pride and my need to control, begin to yell, “I got it!” What foolishness! I have only to catch a glimpse of my heavenly Father, who parents me daily. Immediately, I see that He can handle things more easily and effectively than I can, and my words revert to a heartfelt cry as I return to my position, calling, “You! You! You!”

What are you trying to control today?


Rebecca
Don't miss any great parenting info: Subscribe to my daily email newsletter! Click HERE.

1 comment:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Good post...and even after 30 years of marriage and 27 years of parenting I still need to reminded. Am I trying to control...probably at different times, but still learning to release all things into His hands.

Related Posts with Thumbnails