Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Books for Encouraging Parents

Hey Everybody,

There are so many books that have ministered to me--thus far!--along my journey of homeschooling. This list is just a random sampling of the books that have made a difference in my life and, in so many ways, the lives of my children.

The Power of a Praying Wife and The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian.
These books are mainstays of my daily quiet time.

Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman by Anne Ortlund (a favorite author!) -- I read this one over and over in the early years of parenting. Also by this author, Children are Wet Cement. A classic read!

The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot. I was a mother of preschoolers when I first read this book, and I learned from Mrs. Elliot that teenagers do not have to be rebellious, nor should the Christian parent expect them to be. That was actually news to me at that time in my life. I stand firmly rooted now, however, on the belief that it is true. :)

Home Grown Kids and Home Style Teaching, by the fabulous duo of Raymond and Dorothy Moore. These grandparents of the homeschool movement were in Nashville for a speaking engagement just as Sandy and I had started homeschooling. We went to their seminar and oh my--we were affirmed, confirmed, and undeniably sold on the value of what we had only just begun in the lives of our children.

Don't Make Me Count to Three and Wise Words for Moms by my dear friend Ginger Plowman. The best, most practical, instructive guide to biblical discipline that I have ever read. The peaceful home for which I had been praying came fully into reality once I started implementing the Word of God as these resources detail.

Age of Opportunity by Paul Tripp. Great book on parenting teens. This one actually inspired my book for parenting tweens, Season of Change!

These are just a few of my picks for encouraging reads!

 

Rebecca

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails