Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dating Your Child

Hey Everybody,

Today on the FamilyLife Today broadcast, one of the things we talked about was dating your child. Below is an excerpt from Season of Change!

My husband and I met in college. We were good friends and often saw each other in group settings before we started dating. Once he asked me out, however, I looked forward to some time spent away from the noise of the crowd. I wanted to know more about his background, his thoughts, his likes and dislikes. I relished the idea of a quiet dinner focused on getting to know him.

Now that I’m a mother, I realize it is essential to spend time focusing on my children one at a time. Of course, I know my children’s background and history information, but as they rapidly grow and change, I want to know the persons they are becoming. I have found that a great way to connect with my kids is to get away occasionally for some one-on-one time, otherwise known as a date! Don’t worry—this does not have to be expensive! Dating your kids operates on the same philosophy you may remember from your own dating days: It’s not about money. It’s about spending time together.

When I was an elementary student, my dad drove me to school and picked me up every day. It was a twenty-minute trip each way, and during that time I had my dad’s undivided attention. We talked. We sang. We made up games. I remember some of the silliest conversations we had. One day I told him I wanted to be Miss Tennessee, the next day, the President of the United States. He was an attentive listener and encouraged me always in my walk with the Lord. Every Friday afternoon, we celebrated the weekend by stopping for an Icee. Those special times with my dad are some of my best memories of childhood—simple, unhurried moments together. Times like these are especially important to a middler. When we moved and I started riding the bus as a sixth-grader, I really missed those rides with my dad.

Individual time spent with your child provides a safe atmosphere for discussing important issues. Things that would never come up at the family dinner table often surface in the confidential confines of a car or a restaurant’s corner booth. (Read more in my book, Season of Change)
Excerpted from Season of Change: Parenting Your Middle Schooler with Passion and Purpose. Copyright © 2008 by Rebecca Ingram Powell. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced, reprinted or distributed for capital gain.


It's been my delight to share with you on the FamilyLife Today show this week! Today's broadcast was extra special to me because it was a total surprise that my daughter Danya would be on the show with me! I hope you have enjoyed listening to the broadcasts as much as I enjoyed recording them with Dennis and Bob! I invite you to check back often here at my blog, and please know that I would love to hear from you! Feel free to connect with me by clicking on my contact button above!

Rebecca

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails