Monday, September 14, 2009

"Engage: Go and Pray..." See You at the Pole 2009!

Hey Everybody,

I posted on Facebook about See You at the Pole (SYATP) and got several questions regarding what it is and how it works. Since I am really still struggling with FB (what it is and how it works LOL!) I wanted to post here to fill you in on this student-led phenomenon that is celebrating its 19th year.

Here's how it happened: Back in June 1990, a group of teenagers who were on a DiscipleNow weekend met with God in a powerful way. They were burdened for their lost friends and their schools like never before. They went out that night to three different schools in their area to pray, and according to the website: "Not knowing exactly what to do, they went to the school flagpoles and prayed for their friends, schools, and leaders." From that simple act of obedience, a movement was born! A few months later, in September 1990, "45,000 teenagers met at school flagpoles in four different states to pray before the start of school. " Incredible!

The event is scheduled for the fourth Wednesday in September, which this year, is September 23. Students meet at their schools at 7am, gather around the flagpole, and pray. That's it. No special equipment required! It's just about prayer.

Hmmm. It seems to me that is what it always comes down to! I once interviewed Fern Nichols, the inspiring founder of Moms In Touch International, and at the end of the interview, I said, "Prayer is the first and the last, don't you think?" And she replied, "And it's in the middle, too."

“Engage: Go and pray . . .” (2 Kings 22:13a)

Rebecca

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I don't know if my daughter's school has a flag pole, but if not, it has a parking lot. I am going to mention this and get myself up and moving to be there at 7AM.

Related Posts with Thumbnails