Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Mom Seriously Review: The Holman Illustrated Children's Bible Dictionary

New to Mom Seriously? WELCOME! Be sure to sign up for my daily email newsletter, full of practical tips for purposeful parenting!

I am getting so excited about the Alabama Homeschool Expo coming up this Thursday through Saturday in Montgomery, AL! On Thursday, I'll be speaking to new homeschoolers in the event's "Homeschooling 101" workshops!

It's hard to believe that it's been over 15 years since my husband and I first considered homeschooling. Although tons of new resources and curriculum have been introduced to the homeschool market, there are some tried and true resources that I will always recommend, including Ann Ward's Learning At Home: Preschool and Kindergarten : A Christian Parent's Guide with Day-by-day Lesson Plans Using the Library As a Resourceand anything Notgrass!

But there are a few new resources that I'm crazy about, and very excited to share with new homeschoolers! One of those is the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids (Holman Reference).

When Holman sent me a copy of their new Bible Dictionary, I knew that my kids (now 19, 16, and 14) had sure missed out! Oh, how I wish I'd had this when they were younger and we were just starting to homeschool! It's packed with good stuff like:

  • A-Z Bible terms. From Adam to Zechariah, there are people, places, Bible terms, and events every young Bible scholar needs to know!
  • Colorful. With beautiful real-life pictures (no cartoons--and I'm glad--I want the reality of God's Word to shine through, and cartoon images just don't do that!), easy-to-read maps, and eye-catching graphics, the Bible Dictionary is stunning.
  • Age-appropriate. From a 4-year-old who will benefit from looking at the pictures and being read to, all the way to a 12-year-old (and beyond) who will appreciate the integrity of its investigative approach, the Bible Dictionary is truly something the whole family will enjoy.
Thumbing through the book as soon as I received it, I was "oohing" and "ahhing" over every detail. Glossy pages with vivid graphics and crisp fonts made this homeschooling mom's heart pitter-patter with delight! Plus, scattered throughout the book are illustrated charts that provide "at-a-glance" perspectives of the Bible's animals, plants, weights and measures, and more!
It's marvelous--and a wonderful way to provoke your child's thirst for Bible knowledge!
And here's what makes it do-able: The Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids (Holman Reference)is only $14.99 retail (yes, for a hardback!) but on Amazon, you can get it for $10.19! That's a small investment for a resource that is so rich in value. When you go to the Amazon link, you can take a look inside the book and you'll see what I'm talking about!

Rebecca's Rating: Must own!
Check out my other reviews when you click on the Homeschooling Tab above.
Rebecca
Don't miss any great parenting info: Subscribe to my daily email newsletter! Click HERE.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails