Monday, August 30, 2010

Picky Eaters: The Dinner Dilemma

Courtesy of healthyliving4you.info
Whether it’s a gourmet meal served in the dining room on your wedding china, or a simple picnic in the backyard with paper plates, picky eaters can absolutely ruin a good meal. I should know. As a child, I was a terribly picky eater, and as a mom, I have met my match in my youngest child. I knew I was in trouble when he turned down pureed macaroni and cheese but seemed to like the taste of Robitussin. If you’ve got a picky eater, I've got some suggestions for how to help mealtimes run more smoothly.

Offer at least one thing your picky eater will eat at every meal. This doesn’t mean that you have to become a short-order cook or place a stack of peanut butter sandwiches next to the main course at every meal (although I know some moms who do that LOL). However, if everyone but your picky eater loves Dad’s famous spicy chili, serve baked potatoes or a fruit salad along with it. Offer some options.

Somewhere along the way, we moms seem to become the food police. Let's be real: Not everyone likes every food. Bring the food to the table. Let your kids handle the serving utensils and select what they want to eat. If you serve a well-balanced meal, with four or five of the food groups represented, your child will find something to eat.

Every year or so, I ask my picky eater to make a list of the things he likes to eat. Certain textures bother him, and I want to respect that. Fortunately, as he's grown, so has his food list. One thing that has held true, however, at every stage of his growing up: If he's hungry, he'll eat. :)

Check back tomorrow for my post on Picky Eaters: Encouraging Healthy Habits
Got a story about your picky eater? I'd love to hear it!

Rebecca
Don't miss any great parenting info: Subscribe to my daily email newsletter! Click HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails