Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More on the Nashville Flood

Hey Everybody,

A bit of a leaky roof, a little water in the basement, and our power was out for just around 12 hours. We are very fortunate. The Nashville Flood has kept me on my knees and glued to the screen for the past three days. I have never seen anything like this in my life. I woke up this morning wondering about the house I lived in when I was a kid. It was one street over from Mill Creek, and my mom always wondered if the water would ever get down to us when it overflowed its banks. However, it never did as long as we lived there. I'm wondering today what it looks like over there.

Things will not be back to normal here for a long time. Currently, we are on a "suggested" water restriction, as requested by our mayor and governor. How do you use half the water that you normally use? There are lots of tips on the web, and lots to think and re-think about our daily routines. When I was leading the moms' group at Blanchfield Hospital at Fort Campbell a few years ago, I remember the chaplain there telling me about how the troops would go for days with just a couple of water bottles per soldier. (This was back in 2005.) It was up to them to decide if they wanted to drink it or use it for something else. I never took my showers for granted after I knew that. In fact, it became my habit to pray for the troops as I turned on my shower water each morning. Water is a precious thing, and like most things that we don't even know we hold dear, under-appreciated.

I've seen a strength in people over the past couple of days that is like a beautiful rainbow stretching over our still fair city. Yes--if you've seen Nashville on the news, then you know that our incredible city is never going to be the same. But the people here, they make it beautiful. Here's just one example:

On Monday morning, a friend of mine had to be rescued from her neighborhood by canoe. Where did she go? She came straight to the church, where you will find her every Monday, cooking and serving people in our "Homeless and Hungry" ministry. I find it truly amazing that she came to minister when she was in such great need herself. Don't you?

Oh, Nashville! Ever since we moved back here, 15 years ago, I literally drive through the streets thanking God for letting me live here. Every season holds memories--every fragrance brings stories to my mind--and it seems every time I turn around I see someone I know. The guy who rescued my friend in his canoe was the father of a kid who played baseball with Derek. They were six years old at the time, and Rich and my father-in-law coached these little kids to a championship! I hadn't seen him in years.

Nashville is my hometown. You know how you feel about your hometown. You feel possessive. If you're blessed, you feel proud. And in your heart, you want it to feel permanent.

But it's not. It can't be. Our real home, which will never be damaged by flood waters or destroyed by tornados...Our real home where Abba lives...Our real home where every time we turn around we'll see someone we know...that's coming soon. If you are a follower of Christ, you'll possess it. You'll be proud of it. And it will be permanent!

Please continue to pray for us.

Link to pictures of the Nashville Flood

Rebecca

3 comments:

Jane In The Jungle said...

We've been keeping track down here. As you can imagine, you're all over our news even local reporters are there. I feel for all of y'all!! Chattanooga flooded about 6 yrs ago but we're so hilly that saved most of us! Praises you are surviving Rebecca!!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine. Praying for all in Nashville.

Edie said...

I'm catching up now, just reading in the wrong order. I'm so glad you're safe. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails