Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Reach for the spray?

Hey Everybody,

Here in the south, we are already getting out the bug spray, and I started wondering, What if our Christianity came in a spray bottle? We could just squirt it all over our flesh and be instantly protected by a hazy screen. No temptation or worldly desire could overtake us. Even the pesky little sins that get under our skin and feed would be eliminated.

Craving a cigarette? Reach for the spray.

Seeking revenge? Spray yourself down.

Lustful thoughts? Take a cold spray.

The apostle Paul understood the Christian’s need for protection in a world full of pesky sins. In Ephesians 6, he described an invisible body shield that he called the armor of God. “Finally,” Paul writes, “be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength. Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil” (Ephesians 6:10-11). The original Greek language is translated, “Put on God’s panoply.” A panoply is defined as a complete suit of armor. Paul was not talking about merely the armor of God, but God’s own armor, different from any other. A Roman guard’s suit of armor was made up of separate pieces. Between the sections was uncovered space, however small. Arrows and spears often found their way inside these tiny chinks, resulting in death. So they weren't completely protected! But God’s armor is complete, with no chinks, and it is available to us!

Pray it on today:


Dear Lord,

I want to put on the full armor of God so that I can take my stand against the devil's schemes. Every day I realize more and more that my struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. I want to put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, I am able to stand my ground, and after I have done everything, to stand. O God, help me to stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around my waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with my feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of peace. In addition to all this, Lord, help me to intentionally take up the shield of faith, with which I can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  And help me put on the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Constantly remind me to pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. Help me to be alert and to always keep on praying for all the saints. (Ephesians 6:11-18)

Rebecca

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails