Thursday, May 28, 2009

RECIPE FOR LIFE

My husband's grandmother makes the best pot roast you have ever put in your mouth! As a young wife, I was anxious to get her recipe, so I asked her one day how she did it. She told me very off-handedly how to cook the meat, and when I tried it, it wasn't the same. I had a feeling that something was missing! The next time I saw her, I sat her down and asked again for the recipe. She started to tell me, but I stopped her. "Something is missing from that version," I said, shaking my head. "Start with, 'You go to the store.'" I wanted her to tell me everything she did to get her pot roast so perfect, beginning with going to the store to get the right cut of meat!

I think that there comes a point in each person's life when she realizes that something is missing. Life doesn't taste right. It doesn't have the right flavor. Something is missing! It is our human nature to try to get the recipe right by adding in different spices: other people, possessions, prominence, pleasure. But nothing will fill that empty place because the longing that you feel is coming from your spirit. Your spirit's appetite won't be satisfied with anything but Jesus Christ. The emptiness you feel, the "something's just not right" feeling that burdens you when everything is quiet and still, well, that's simply a recognition of the separation that exists between you and God, your Creator. Separation occurred as a result of sin, our disobedience in failing to hold to the standards of a righteous God.

Sin separates us from a relationship with God, but it doesn't separate us from His love. He proved that He loved us, and He calls us to come to Him by way of His Son, Jesus. Jesus died on the cross to cleanse us from our sins, to re-establish our relationship with God, and to cover us with His righteousness.

A celebrity interviewer was himself interviewed on a popular talk show a few years ago. He was asked who, in his opinion, would be the ultimate interview. He replied that he would like to interview God.
"What would you ask Him?" the host said.
Without a moment's hesitation, the man replied, "Did You have a Son?"
Even this man who asks all the questions has one for which his heart cries for an answer. In his life of fame and fortune, something was missing, and he knew it.

God has provided a recipe for life that can be yours. You can experience real life in Christ if you allow Him to live in your heart. God did have a Son! His name is Jesus. The Bible says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16). If you do not know Jesus as your personal Savior, please allow Him access to your heart of hearts this moment. Recognize that your sin has left you in dire need of a Savior, and accept His free gift of salvation. If you've never asked Jesus to forgive you of your sins, all it takes is a prayer. He's waiting for you with open arms.

RECIPE FOR LIFE
Dear God, I realize that something is missing. I need You. Please forgive me of my sins. I believe that Jesus is Your Son, and I ask Him right now to come into my heart and fill up this emptiness with His love. I want Jesus to be my Savior and Lord. Thank you for answering this prayer. Now please help me to learn to walk with You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails