Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Let's Talk about Publishing

My first book, Baby Boot Camp, was self-published. I had been to several different publishers with my little book of devotionals for new moms, and while one of them had seemed very promising, things did not work out. (My entire story concerning the publication of Baby Boot Camp can be found in the book For the Write Reason edited by Marybeth Whalen.) The main reason that any new author struggles to achieve publication is because of her lack of a platform. I have met with editors of publishing houses large and small, and that is always the first question asked: What do you bring to the table? In other words, what is it about YOU that makes your book marketable? Self-publishing gave me the chance to prove not only the market niche for my book, but it also gave me a couple of years to prove myself. After my book had sold several thousand copies and I had begun a speaking ministry, a traditional publishing house picked up Baby Boot Camp. I could say I was a published author-- "for real!!"

My friend GP says no one is completely happy with her publisher! That's probably true--at least, I haven't met an author who is completely happy--not yet, anyway! But I think that is largely because authors go into publishing deals with great expectations of their publisher, and the truth is that the author is primarily responsible for selling her book. You see, when I went to traditional publishing, I thought I could sit back and relax and be marketed! But what I learned was that I had to work just as hard as when my book was self-published. I still had to be out there selling my book!

I've just finished a new book, and today, I'm thrilled to announce the book's title!
Season of Change: Understanding and Relating to Your Middle Schooler

Like it?

To return to my website, please click here.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing...I was wondering how to get started...didn't have a clue until now. Like I said before (email), God would open and shut the doors. I couldn't believe it when I got here, and you were a homeschool mom too...another quinkidink! Even our walk with the Lord as teenagers was similar. I praise Him for His love and forgiveness. I love the way God works!

Blessings ~ Jennifer

Related Posts with Thumbnails