Monday, January 17, 2011

31 Days to a Younger Me? Where Do I Sign Up?

New to Mom Seriously? WELCOME! Be sure to sign up for my daily email newsletter, full of practical tips for purposeful parenting!

Danya
Photo courtesy: Rebecca Poole Images
Recently, my beautiful daughter turned 19. I really don't think of myself as "old" enough to have a 19-year-old. I'm not sure, in my mind, just how one is supposed to feel having a 19-year-old. I guess that I thought, years ago, that I would feel really old when she was an adult. But I don't. Not yet. I don't exactly feel young, either. LOL

Nineteen is really an odd sort of age. As one of her friends pointed out, it's not the big deal that turning 18 was, and it's not the big deal that turning 20 will be. It's just sort of in-between. Maybe that's how I'm feeling: Sort of in-between. At 44, I don't think of myself as "old," but when I'm at one of DANYA's shows (depending on the venue) I know that I don't fall into the category of young, hip, and happening. :) So I'm feeling in-between...middle aged, if you will, and in definite need of a pick-me-up!

Enter God's perfect timing, and the arrival of my friend Arlene Pellicane's new book: 31 Days to a Younger You: No Surgery, No Diets, No Kidding. Arlene is passionate about women's health: both physical and emotional aspects. "When we are healthy physically and emotionally, we have more to give to others," Arlene notes. "Physical health enables us to do so much more with our families and with the dreams God has given us. When we have a sound mind and body, we’re not limited to sitting on the sidelines. We get to play in the game of life!"

Recently, Arlene and I sat down for a virtual chat, and over the next few days, I'll be sharing some of her tips and tools for looking and feeling younger!

Mom Seriously (MS): Arlene, you've long been a fitness guru and an authority on eating right and living right. In your new book, you take women on a 31-day journey through lifestyle changes, challenges, and choices. Would you share some things that a 40-something mom like me can do to feel and look younger?

Arlene: Rebecca, there are three things you can do right now to get yourself out of this in-between feeling and on your way to looking and feeling younger!
  1. Lose a few pounds. When your clothes get baggy and you have to go shopping for a size down, you feel young!
  2. Go on a candlelight date night with your husband. Talk about memories from your courtship and early years of marriage. Hold hands. Smooch in the car.
  3. Go through your closet and give away anything that says “old lady.” Things like baggy clothes that don’t fit you well or overly matchy outfits (flowered top and bottom). Shop for one outfit that makes you look younger. Try stores like Ross or TJMaxx to do this inexpensively and invite a hip friend to help you shop if you need some extra advice.
MS: Arlene, as Christian moms, what should be our motivation when it comes to taking care of ourselves?

Author Arlene Pellicane
Arlene: Look into the eyes of your child/children and you will find the answer. Whatever you do, your kids will do. When we eat junk and sit on the couch watching TV all day, guess what our kids grow up to do? The same thing! But if our kids watch us eat healthy and exercise regularly, they will follow suit.

MS: My friend Arlene loves speaking to women at moms groups, seminars, and retreats.  Arlene lives in Southern California with her husband James and their three children, Ethan, Noelle, and Lucy. Connect with Arlene at her website and blog.

Coming up in this series:
Stock Up On Health at the Grocery Store 
Instilling a Positive Body Image in Your Daughter













Rebecca
Don't miss any great parenting info: Subscribe to my daily email newsletter! Click HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails