Friday, December 31, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up: A Tender Tennessee Christmas...with SNOW!

New to Mom Seriously? Welcome! You'll find tons of great parenting articles, homeschooling encouragement, and every day, a Mom's Tip of the Day. Enjoy!


(L to R) Derek, David, Danya
You've got to love this pic of my kids. It looks entirely photoshopped--but it's not! They're sitting in front of the picture window in our kitchen (admittedly one of the top five reasons we bought this house) and behind them you see the snow the Lord blessed us with on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It was glorious.

We had such a sweet Christmas this year. I hope you did too. As the kids have grown up, there are lots of sweet memories of past Christmases, and this year, I put some pictures out of them at various stages--around the Christmas tree, Christmas mornings--all so precious. We had a great Christmas Eve service, too, which every year becomes more and more like a homecoming, with families and friends coming together--in from out of town, home from college--for those sacred moments of worship and communion. So, I'll say it again, Christmas here at the Powells' was sweet.

Are you already looking ahead to the New Year? Got your resolutions ready? LOL I'm all for New Year's Resolutions, but according to my husband's sermon last Sunday, you are only successful if you are resolute in keeping them. I don't know about you, but I can be easily swayed. I remember a speech class that I had in college where we spent weeks debating gun control (this was around '87). We had to be prepared to debate both sides of the issue, which I could talk myself into either one, but the problem came when the opposing side persuaded me before it was my turn to speak! LOL  I'd be thinking, "oh, that's a good point...that's a good point, too!" And then I would have to take my turn at the podium and talk myself back into arguing for the opposite view. If you're still with me after all that...the point is that it is difficult to be determined, resolute, and unwavering. The enemy always has a "good point" whether it is in the form of brownies, alfredo sauce, or snuggling under the covers instead of getting up for some time with the Lord. The enemy is resolute in his attempts to lead us away from all that God has for us. Let's be resolute this year--moment by moment--in our pursuit of the Lord.

The New Year holds several speaking opportunities for me, and I hope I get to meet some of my bloggy friends along the way! Our next Pure In Heart Conference is March 19, at Trinity Baptist in Lake Charles, LA. Danya and I haven't been to Louisiana in a couple of years, and we're so excited to return! Registration begins in January.

I have several homeschool conventions coming up in 2011: Alabama, Georgia, and Illinois. Check my schedule to learn more. I'll be presenting middle school topics as well as "Homeschool 101" topics for parents new to homeschooling. That will be so much fun!

Plus, here on the blog, I'll be reviewing some brand new releases that should make their way into your personal library! Dannah Gresh's new book,What Are You Waiting For?: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex is an incredible resource for moms and daughters (and I think our sons should read it too!). I received an advance review copy and proceeded to read half of it standing at the kitchen counter where I had stopped to open the mail! Seriously! I have already passed it on to Danya. Oh, and so much more is in store for y'all...but I'm still on vacation. :)

Happy New Year, and I'll see you on Monday!

Rebecca
Don't miss any great parenting info: Subscribe to my daily email newsletter! Click HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails