Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday, Monday!

Hey Everybody!

I had a great weekend with some wonderful ladies down in Jacksonville, AL. I spoke at their ladies' tea, and oh, what fun we had! My sister-in-law traveled with me, and those southern gals just treated us like royalty! I feel like I made lots of new friends this weekend! Some of them were bloggers, so whenever pics are posted, I will direct you with some links.

Of course, I didn't have my camera because someone else has it...someone who is on her tour...anyway...

We have a busy week ahead, including my boys' end-of-year tests. Yes, ma'am--we have taken standardized, end-of-year tests since each child was in second grade. In our state, testing isn't mandatory until third grade. My reasoning was, let's give it a run-through in second grade, so that in third grade, when it really counts, the process will be somewhat familiar to them. That's worked for us! I also don't tell my kids what their scores are. Primarily because they would look at me and say, "Mom, your work here is done." :)

As a homeschooler, one thing that I didn't want to do was have my kids cram for tests. You know, the regular weekly or end-of-unit kinds of tests. I wanted them to LEARN. Crazy, but that's always been my goal here, LOL! They've done spelling, English, math, science, and history tests, of course--but they don't really cram or study for them. They just take them as part of their daily course work. Anyone else? That's how you know if you've really learned something, I think. If you can take the test today and you know it, then you should be able to take the test next week and still know it. Speaking from the heart of one who crammed for tests, LN (that would stand for "laughs nervously"), I'm really not sure how much I ever truly learned and retained.

Glad I'm not taking those year-end tests! I'll be heading to Chick-fil-a! :)


Rebecca

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails